Sunday, March 6, 2011

Seasons

Yesterday I was thinking about seasons.
For a number of reasons. We seem to be making the switch from winter to spring here, but that wasn't so much on my mind yesterday. Mid-afternoon I received a call that my Grandpa had passed away in the morning. He was 91. It wasn't entirely unexpected, but at the same time happened more quickly that I had thought it would. I guess I thought we would have just a little more warning. On the other hand, this way there was less suffering for him I think.
I was thinking about seasons because of all of this and everything else that has happened in the last few months. It hasn't been the easiest for our family. But to everything there is a time, and a season for every activity (Eccl. 3:1, but really you should read 3:1-8). And that is right and good and true.
The writer in Ecclesiastes was not hopeful, he was in despair when he wrote those words. Feeling that what he didn't didn't make a difference. And there is truth in that. Time passes whether we want it to or not. But we still choose how we will respond to each season. Will it be a season of trust or panic? Joy or despair?
I am sad that my Grandpa is not here anymore. I will miss him. But I know he is with Jesus and that is good and I can rejoice over that. I struggle even more with worry about my Grandma. She's never been alone, but now she is. There are no family nearby. Who will take care of her, what will happen? It is difficult not to feel guilty for leading my own life and not staying there to take care of her. But then, I know that this is a season in her life as well as mine. And I can choose to worry, or I can choose to trust that God will take care of her as He does me.
It is not an easy season. But it is a season in which I choose to be at peace because I choose to trust God that He really does know best, that He really does love us, and that He can really take care of other people--not just me, and He doesn't need me to be His personal arm of caregiving to every individual who has a need (thank goodness!). I think I am going to have to post reminders to trust for a little while. :\

We, of course, do appreciate your continued prayers. My parent's are traveling right now as are other members of our family. We are all wanting to be there, but not all of us will be able to go. I'm trying to make arrangements myself to go and work that out both schedule-wise and financially (thankfully, I got some reimbursements this week and am supposed to get my income tax returns shortly too--otherwise I would definitely be among those who couldn't make it). Please pray for all the decisions that have to be made that there would be peace all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment