Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wayfaring Stranger

One of my all-time favorite songs is "Wayfaring Stranger". I've loved it since I was a kid. It is haunting and the words are thoughtful. Always a good reminder of the transiency of this life. One of my preferred versions goes like this:

I am a poor wayfaring stranger
While journeying through this world of woe;
And there's no sickness, toil nor danger
In that bright land to which I go.

I'm going there to see my Father,
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only going over Jordan,
I'm only going over home.

I know dark clouds will gather ‘round me,
I know my way is rough and steep;
And beautiful fields lie just before me,
Where God's redeemed their vigils keep.

I'm going there to see my Father,
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only going over Jordan,
I'm only going over home.

I'm going there to see my Saviour,
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only going over Jordan,
I'm only going over home.

I want to wear that crown of glory,
When I get home to that good land;
Well I want to shout salvation's story,
In concert with the blood-washed band,

I'm going there to see my Saviour,
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm just agoing over Jordan,
I'm just agoing over home.


I think part of it is the music and part of it is the words for me.
I can identify with the author. People ask me where I am from and I don't know how to respond. I've lived in five or six different countries and within those countries my time has been divided between various cities and places.
Right now, I'm planning a trip back to Ohio. I've claimed Ohio as my home for years. My grandparents live there and it is the one place we always went back to. By the time they sold their house and moved into a retirement community my sister was living nearby so I would stay with her and the feeling of "home--as a place to come back to" continued. My sister moved away last year. As I was planning this trip, I realized that this was going to be a bittersweet trip. I know I won't be back there many times. It'll be lovely to see my grandparents again. But it's time to say goodbye to those childhood memories and wander on.
This life that I lead has many blessings. But the sacrifices sometimes come to the surface too.
Today I am sad. And that is okay.
My hope and my home are not in this world. When I am struggling to find a foothold here, I remember that this life is but a journey and real life is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment