Friday, July 31, 2009

Swimming in Russian

I am happy to say I am no longer drowing. I am still in deep water, but I'm swimming now at least. ;) I'm actually enjoying my Russian studies both in getting to know other students and more especially in getting a better grasp of Russian.
I realized at some point that the eight+ hours of homework we were receiving on a daily basis was really not realistic and I just need to focus in on my areas of "felt need". That's taken a lot of the pressure off, but I am still doing more than four hours of homework every day and not keeping up with my "felt need". I do enjoy that it is a challenge, I think I would find it boring otherwise. Particularly with the variety of students that are in the class, if I was any more advanced I'd be bored stiff every time he stopped to explain something, but as it is now, I appreciate it and need the repitition. It's been so good to have certain things slotted into place that I could not understand previously because I just didn't have a good grasp of the grammar.
I love my homework time, just spending time reading and doing the exercises. I really appreciate your prayers as I have been amazed at how clear my mind is and how much I have been able to absorb every day.
Classes run from 8:30 to 2(30) for me. I try to get a little studying in on the commute to and from. In the afternoons I have been going for a swim in the Dnepro on my way home and then by the time I get home it is time to hit the books, so I study for four or five hours with breaks for a quick supper and all and then it's bedtime and the next day starts with the same thing all over. It is a challenge and I am tired. I was very tired today. We all were. Now I just need to do about four hours more of homework and then to bed so that i can get up int he monring and do at least a couple of hours and then I'm off to Priscilla's for a quick overnight visit. Then back here on Sunday evening for a bit of studying to get me in tune for Monday. I am looking forward to the break, but not sure how much I'll be able to mentally break from it as my mind is so consumed with this that I was conjugating verbs in Russian in my dream last night! Hopefully being with the kids will help.
Keep praying, I have two more weeks to go. Pray for us all, students and teachers. We all need it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment