Monday, March 9, 2009

Cooking for 20, anyone? Anyone!?

After Lika moved out Thursday I conned on a friend into coming over and helping me move furniture and take down the Christmas tree and other decorations that had been in that room for the last three months. It was great and so nice to have a semblance of order with that.

Then Friday we had off from work for Women's Day (March 8, most people take Monday off, but I arranged differently with our office for varied and sundry reasons), but I had agreed to help Myriam out with a meal for her English Bible study and some other English contacts. We were planning on doing all the prep work together, but she ended up getting sick and spending half the day at the doctor's and then resting a little in the afternoon so she would be up for the evening (although she did still manage to put together two dishes and lunch for us, besides tidying the house). So, that left me with the grocery shopping for this event (nothing like being prepared by shopping the day of :| ), and the rest of the meal prep. Mostly it went well. I baked a couple of beautiful chocolate cakes (and they tasted nice too) and we roasted chicken legs, potatoes and carrots, along with serving up fresh homemade rolls, a pea salad and bread sauce (the last two being Myriam's contribution). Over all it was a success although the chicken ended up being a little under cooked because of my not being acquainted with my mum's oven--oh ya, this all took place at my mum's house where Myriam has been living for the last three months.
I was content with the meal. Disappointed about the chicken (it was mostly edible and not dangerously undercooked but on that side), but happy that in general I had managed to pull off a meal for 20 (which number kept changing from 15-20 during the planning stages) in one day without too much advance planning! The only downer that day was that I ended up with a very painful, swollen ankle. :( (The one I had sprained previously.)

No comments:

Post a Comment