Friday, November 14, 2008

A Little Quilt

I wrote this yesterday, but because of internet problems couldn't post until today.

Funny, I'm trying to upload some pics of the little quilt I made last night, but our internet is acting up. Hopefully I'll be able to post this.
Lilia, our key Russian editor is pregnant and due one month form today. Her husband, Vasia, also works with us. I wanted to throw a mini baby shower for them. Baby showers aren't really something that is done here. Normally you take a gift after the baby is born--probably because of higher infant mortality rates (esp. in the past) and superstitions that eventually got built off of that (like, it's bad luck to give a gift before the baby is actually born). But since we are all Christians, we are free from that and I just wanted 5to honor this couple who are serving with us. So we had a little "party". It consisted of giving a couple of gifts and praying for Vasia and Lilia and having some cupcakes that I had made.
For the gifts I made a little quilt/baby blanket and the rest o the office got together and bought some sheets and a towel and some toys for the baby. (Since I'm the "boss" it's expected that I would do a little more, which is why I did a separate gift, besides the fact that I enjoy sewing)
I don't have access to all the materials here that you have in the West, but i went to a couple of shops and found some flannel and lined coat/blanket material that I thought I could work with. I cut it and prepared it for quilting, but I was having trouble deciding how I should quilt it. And of course, I've been sick a lot the last couple of weeks so I didn't have much energy for it either. Thankfully, I found a quilting motif that I likie dand was able to adjust to suit my needs, then last night I just made myself sit down and throw it all together! It took about four hours to pint it, do all the quilting and bind it, which I figure isn't too bad. I just did a simple meandering quilting pattern, but "hid" little pictures in it: a boat, sheep, teddy bear, bottle, duckie, etc. I think it turned out fairly well. I'm hoping to make a similar one for another friend of mine that is expecting soon.

I also made these cupcakes: Chocolate with cream cheese inside and poppy seed with lemon icing. As you can see, I tried to pipe babies on top, but they look more like pupas. :D

1 comment:

  1. What a cute quilt. I remember having my first quilt when I was five and I loved it to pieces. Even though I don't have it anymore but I still remember it in my head the love that our sponsors had for me. Sigh.....

    The cupcake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete