Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cold and Cockroaches

As is usual, they have not yet turned on the heating in my apartment. This wouldn't be so bad, but the nights are dropping close to freezing and it makes it terribly cold in my apartment. I have developed a tendency to leave the oven on and open, besides using a space heater, wheat pack and, of course, blankets, socks and sweatshirts. But it is still cold. Thankfully the office is warm. Since it is in a house we have control of the heat here which makes it a lot more pleasant to come to the office. This morning I could see my breath as I walked to work and I was hard put not to wear gloves--but by the time I got here I was warm enough that I didn't mind.
On top of the no heat, which I anticipated since last year they didn't turn it on till one of the last days in October, there is no hot water. In summer I don't mind this so much, esp. if they don't turn the hot water taps off completely. The water that comes out of the hot water taps is then cold, but not bitterly cold like out of the cold water taps, but now in addition to it being cold in the apartment I have absolutely no water in the hot water taps which leaves me with just the bitterly cold water from the cold water taps. It makes me think of the pioneers. I'm so grateful that I don't have to go out to a well to get my water. I have to heat it up to bathe and wash dishes and in general washing my face and hands is not something I particularly enjoy during this period of cold, but the rest isn't too bad. I still have a toilet that flushes. I can still do laundry.
I also have been coming upon more and more cockroaches in my apartment. Sigh. I would prefer the cold. I had no cockroaches last year because the apartment had sat empty for so long that they had abandoned it in favor of better feeding grounds. Unfortunately, they are discovering that I am back. I am hoping to stave them off for the next year or so until I end up moving again. Killing cockroaches is one of the things that I hate most about being single. In general I enjoy my single life, but I do miss having a male family member to screech at when I don't feel like doing the dirty deed myself. :D
Just a note about the cold, the reason it bothers me so much is that I have significantly more pain in both my legs and hands when it is cold and I had hoped, naturally, to have at least another month of sun to help make things bearable. With the gloomy, rainy weather now I have definitely had a decrease in energy, which makes life a little frustrating. On the other hand, at least my cockroaches aren't of Indian proportions! These little suckers are but babies compared to the "small rodent" sized ones over there!
There's always an "up" side! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment