Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Secretary Update

So the latest and greatest on the secretary situation:
Last Friday we hired a girl for the position, but after being in the office for a half day on Monday she quit. Which I am glad she quit then and not two weeks later. So this week I have been again looking for people for that position. I have two candidates right now. One we interviewed this morning and one I will interview tomorrow. My dilemma is this: they are both good women and both are looking for jobs, and both are qualified. The one is definitely overqualified and the other I am not quite sure.
Lena is around 30 and has a teaching in English degree and is also able to teach Slovak. She has worked as a teacher for a number of years. Her English is obviously fairly good and I am guessing that her Russian is at a decent level too, she says she can write and speak in Russian, but doesn't have a diploma in it.
Ulia is in her early twenties has finished university (but I can't remember her major at the moment) and has been working in an art gallery. Her English is also at a decent level, although not as good as Lena's, but I believe sufficient for the work that we are looking at. I don't know what her Russian level is though.

Anyway, I need to make a decision asap so that they know and so that we can get things organized in the office. That means, I have to decide tomorrow because I have to go to Kyiv on Friday to get my braces tightened on the top and put on on the bottom.

My head tells me to hire Lena as she is the more qualified of the two, but my heart tells me to hire Ulia (Julia) and I am not sure what to listen to. I would actually like to hire them both, Ulia as the secretary and Lena as a part time editor/proofreader, but I don't know if that would work for her or if she has those capabilities. But again, that is what my heart is telling me. And at the same time I don't know if we have enough work for her.

So ... please pray for wisdom and clarity for me. I have people to consult and advise me, but the end decision is mine to make. I'm not actually worried that one of them won't work for the job, just if we can't make better use of Lena than just as a secretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment