Thursday, July 1, 2010

Another Day, Another Dollar

Oops, another week goes by and here we are at Friday again. This week just flew by somehow! I guess I was a bit sick for part of it, and that always makes me lose days. But between that and trying to finish up the doctrine course and get some packing out of the way--and of course, spending a weekend gaming with my "little" brother while his wife was away--time flies!

I'm not finished with doctrine yet. The last lesson is requiring a little more work than I was expecting--well, that and being sick for two days, tends to slow me right down. But the work is coming along and I just sent off another lesson yesterday for translation. And am hoping to finalize one today as well. It is exciting to see the work all coming together! I need to finish it all up by the end of next week so that we can keep on schedule. Thankfully mum is helping a lot, otherwise there is no way I would be able to pull it all together! Every course has roughly 12 lessons (this one has 13), and introduction, and often several appendices (this one has about 10), a textbook and a course guide. The textbook for this course was completed long ago because we used it for the Basic Bible Doctrines, which is the first part of this course. The course guide includes the exams as well as any supplemental material, alongside a discussion plan for each lesson. The course guides almost always have to be written from scratch. If they counted as books, I could say that I've written a lot of books already!
Right now all that is left for this course is to finish Lesson 13, write 2-3 more seminars for the course guide, finalize the appendices and write the exams and answers. Oh, and finalize the Introduction, which I am planning on doing immediately after finishing this blog entry. After that, I'll send the remaining pieces to our two translators, the English versions of the workbook and course guide will be formatted in InDesign and printed for me to look over for any mistakes or formatting errors. Right now the workbook looks like it will be about 600 pages, and I'll need to at least glance at every one of those pages to make sure nothing catches my eye, as well as check specific things for consistency. And I'll need to do the same for the course guide, but that is only about 100 pages.

And yes, I need to get this all done by the end of next Friday. Well, all of the English part. It will take the office about another two months to work through and finalize the Russian part. I always feel bad for how long it takes me to do my work on these things, but then I realize that there are four people doing the same thing in Russian that mum and I do, plus we have to actually edit the lessons for content and verify that it is what we want to teach, rewriting as necessary.

Tomorrow we are having a picnic with our office for 4th of July. It is a nice casual opportunity to have them over again before we are done for the summer.

Oh, and the other reason I need to get all my work done on Doctrine by the end of next week is that I am going to a camp with my sister's family the week after that! I'm very much looking forward to that opportunity to be with them and have a little rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment