Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Peace

I've been having bad dreams/nightmares over the past couple of weeks. Not every night but often enough. Mostly they have been somewhat comical, but last night was just plain disturbing and I woke up feeling the weight of it hanging over me. Then Julie and I sat down to do our reading (we're half way through the New Testament now, yipee!) and we were in Romans. It's a heavy book even when you are fully alert and not feeling disturbed already, but today it was even harder to focus than normal. On the other hand, listening to Julie read her chapters gave me a new insight into Paul's letters. I've always thought of them as books, but they are more like speeches. We ended in chapter eight. It talks about the evilness of sin that is in the world, but then it ends with those famous verses which just cleanse my soul of horror of my dreams:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or
persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? ... No, in all these
things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced
that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor
the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all
creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord.

Those verses just speak peace. God's love conquers all. And it is always there no matter what we are going through.

1 comment:

  1. Esther, thank you for reminding me of this verse. I have a friend in Laos that gets scary dreams often. I can encourage her with these verses. Will be praying for you too.

    ReplyDelete