Monday, February 2, 2009

Funny Stuff

Over the past while, I've been making mental notes of stuff that cracks me up. Hopefully I can remember them all for you!

For one, there is the naming of certain businesses here: like the dental office called RoDent (apparently having "dent" in it is enough to make it about teeth). Or some of my favorites are the banks. There was the MT Bank, which was later replaced by the Brokbusiness Bank, which has (shockingly) been replaced by another bank.
There are tons of other names that have simply been transliterated into Ukrainian or Russian. Like the Blooz Cafe. I took a taxi there the other day with a friend, he couldn't understand when I told him I wanted to go to the Blues Cafe, but when she (very wisely) pronounced it Blooz, he got it right away! :)

Some of the other things that have made me laugh recently are cultural differences that I am discovering with having Lika and Co. living with me.
The first thing was the carpet in the living room. I have parquet floors, but I bought a 2x3m rug/carpet for the living room as well last year when I moved in. However, I discovered when Lika and Luba moved in that they pushed it to the wall and would just walk around the edge (the six inches between the rug and the couch), so that they wouldn't "ruin" it. By the time I came back from my sister's they had rolled it up and put it in the sewing room because of their fear of walking on it! lol the very purpose for which I bought the rug, yet for them the purpose of the rug is to look beautiful, not comfort.
We have a similar situation with the rugs in the hallway. They are not new, they are hand me downs from my brother to my parents to me and I use them to catch the dirt off my shoes when I first come in the house, so I don't have a mess in my hallway all the time. Well, I noticed a while ago that when Lika would come home she'd carefully step around the rugs or fold them in half so that she wouldn't get her dirty boots on them! :P

It's been great to have something to laugh about.

No comments:

Post a Comment