Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Electicity Fun

I blew a fuse again last night. This happened a couple of weeks ago and my neighbor was kind enough to hot wire them for me. Naturally, that was just a temporary solution.
So, last night, I was using my space heater, microwave and computer (and maybe the fridge came on?) and the electric went out. Unfortunately, my neighbors, who I discovered are the only ones with the key to the utility box in the corridor, weren't home. I did eventually discover a candle--through using my mobile phone as a flashlight--and sat in the dark and waited for about half an hour and then I heard my neighbor lady come home, so I ran out and asked for the key. It's rather embarassing, no Ukrainian blows their electric this much! I was in the middle of replacing the old fuses with the new ones I bought last week, when Uri (neighbor's husband) came up in the lift with their baby carriage. He immediately took over the screwing in of the fuses and explained that they were automatic ones, so that I wouldn't need to buy new ones in the future, just press the button back in... That is why I bought them of course! But being female here carries with it certain, uh, stigmas (which just crack me up!). He also instructed me to make a duplicate of the key for myself (hallelujah!), but if I ever needed to do anything--like push the button in--to get him or one of the other neighbor men from our floor to help! Every time I think of that I just about die laughing! I've been playing with fuses since I was a kid because we were always blowing them with all our "equipment". Apartments here just aren't set up for some much electonic stuff.
Anyway, the whole situation just made me laugh. But I must say, I didn't mind having him take over with the fuses or fuss at me for doing it myself. It's kind of nice to be treated like a woman sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. As I'm sure it is nice for him as a man to feel useful :) It's a special ministry you can have :) tee hee hee

    ReplyDelete