Thursday, July 3, 2008

More Quilt :D

This is one of my favorite pictures. I put extra batting behind the trees to give them a little more body. The large trees I did the trunks and tops separately, but with the little maple I cut out the extra batting all in one piece. To attach the batting to the trees I did some extra quilting. Unfortunatley it isn't really visible in the pictures, but each tree trunk has its own "bark" design quilted into it.After that I sewed the trees on to the centerpiece, then added the extra bits, like the branches and extra foliage as well as the leaves and flowers.
You can see I just have a normal machine. Actually it is really old, probably at least 30--my age! :D I'm really old. Okay, back on track, so the machine only has straight and zig zag stitches, but this quilt has taught me a lot more about the machine and what it can do. Unfortunately, I am also have some trouble with the machine and can only use it for 30-45 minutes at a time right now because the pedal keeps overheating. I'm hoping to order a new one, but that won't be in time to help with this quilt.
Here are the trees, after they have been attached to the quilt. Right now I have progressed quite far beyond this although you almost wouldn't know it. I've quilted all of the white background and added an outline of each of the trees as well as a little more quilting of the trunks. I'm just getting ready to start quilting the foliage. Then, provided I don't run out of time--panic!--I'll quilt the flowers and the leaves a little before moving on to the borders. I need to have this quilt ready in four weeks so that I can take it with me when I go to visit Sam and Melissa. Time is running out! And of course, I still need to sew mum and dad's curtains too. NO PRESSURE! :D

1 comment:

  1. Oh la la quilt lady! Did you get highlights done on your hair? Well, you look great and with that lipstick shade oh la la again:)
    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete