Thursday, May 22, 2008

Inflation!

I don't think I've written about this recently, but I've thought about it a lot!
Since I arrived in August 2007, less than one year ago, the prices for many things have gone up 1/3-1/2 what they were at that time. For instance, taxis cost 10-11 hr. (about 2 USD), now they are 15-20 (3-4.50 USD).
Apartment rent has gone from $180 USD for a furnished one-bedroom, to $250 USD.
Bus fare to Kyiv has gone up from 35 hr. to 50 hr. ($7 to $11 USD; hr. = hrivna, Ukrainian currency).

Food items have also gone up and we are all holding our breath for the day that public transport goes up. Gas, of course, has gone up, but it was always more expensive here than in the States.

Couple this inflation with the fact that at the beginning of May the dollar fell from 1USD=5.05 hr. to now 1 USD=4.50 hr. and Ukraine is becoming a costly place to live!
By the time my apartment contract is up in August, I anticipate that my landlords will want me to switch from paying in USD to hrivna and will also raise my rent by not less than 40%. All told I expect to have to pay $100 USD more/month than I am paying now and I'm only paying $180/month right now!

Of course, this kind of inflation affects me personally, however, it affects our office much more. It means that we have to continually raise people's salaries (2-3 times/year) just to keep up with inflation. Naturally, all of our equipment and other bills also go up with the inflation. In addition to that, because the dollar has dropped we take a 10% hit on our total cost.
This is difficult for us, but think how much more difficult for the many people here. There are many elderly who do not get significant raises in their pensions to keep up with inflation. And of course many companies do not raise salaries to compensate for inflation very frequently.
If you think of us, pray.
Part of this inflation is due to the fact that Ukraine wants to enter the EU. Part of it is just the way life here. It's what I remember as a child, but it is of course not good to have such an unstable economy.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot about how so many supporters are having tougher times so that also means less support given to M's around the world! (I know Bruce & Kim have struggled with that too) so for M's things are tough in a lot of ways... :) Just thought I'd add.

    ReplyDelete