Thursday, January 24, 2008

Robbery on the King's Highway

No. I was not robbed.
This morning I was walking down the stair of my building to go to work and I noticed that there were a bunch of receipts and a few coins laying around by the post boxes and the garbage chute. I figured they were just from someone who hadn't managed to get it all in the chute and was too lazy to clean up their mess, so I kept going. Halfway down the next flight of steps, however, I found three debit/credit cards as well as another discount card.
I wasn't sure what to do with them. From the mess I was fairly certain someone had been robbed and the thieves had dumped out the wallet there, but then maybe it was just someone's garbage... I decided to bring them into the office and ask Kos' (our translator, in-office consultant and a good friend of mine) what to do. He managed to find their phone number online (I didn't even know they had white pages here yet) and contacted the lady whose name was on the card. She had indeed been robbed and was disappointed that I had only found the cards. Kos' met up with her and her husband to return the cards and they explained that she is from my neighborhood, but was robbed in her own building. Apparently she escaped without harm and someone else found her passport (government issued ID, required for every Ukrainian, without which you don't exist) and returned it to her.
So, it was an interesting morning. I'm guessing the thief(ves) dumped out her purse or wallet in my building. This is unusual because I live in a building with a secured entry... So there is the tiniest possibility that the thieves were from my building, but more likely someone had left the door open and they just popped in to check things out.
Anyway, this is a concern for prayer for me. I'm not worried about it. I've been robbed before, but it would be a bummer to be robbed again. And it would be nice not to really have to think about it.
And praise God that I did pick those cards up and we were able to return them!

No comments:

Post a Comment