Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Behind the Bars

Just a few pics from my kitchen and living room windows. You can also see some of the lovely iron bars that cover all my windows. I'm grateful for them, even if my friends tell me that if there is ever a fire in the hall I'll die in here. I guess I don't worry about it too much as I've never seen a solid concrete apartment building go up in flames. :D
This is the view from my kitchen. There is a preschool in the middle of our block and I am thrilled not to be looking out on another apartment building!This was from the living room window (different bars). The snow was sooo gorgeous!
One of my neighbors was out taking advantage of the snow and cleaning her rugs. She had just walked away for a moment when I snapped this picture, but you can see her in action in the one below. Many people here beat their rugs to clean them rather than vacuuming. Primarily because vacuums have not been long available and many people don't own one. I am personally of the opinion that beating your rugs is much more effective than vacuuming anyway, but naturally not if you have wall-to-wall carpeting.
Using the snow really helps when you beat rugs too because it catches the dirt and keeps it from just drifting through the air and straight back into your rug. They actually have special carpet beaters that you can buy in the stores and on many days I hear the thwack thwacking of someone cleaning their rugs outside my building.

No comments:

Post a Comment