Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What I did last weekend...

I can't remember. I think I'm still recuperating. Let's see...
Friday I stayed up till all hours trying to get ready to go to my sister's and finish sewing my niece's birthday gift (I'll post a pic later--it was a dress).
Saturday I left at the crack of dawn (defined as 6:30am) to go to Kyiv on the "bus". It is a four hour drive, usually they play really nasty movies, but this time I got to sit in the front seat which was great! In Kyiv I switched to a different "bus" at a different bus station and traveled for another hour and half to Rzhshiv (pronounced Rizhishiv--if you can!) where my sister and her family live. I managed to make it there before 2pm and spent the rest of the day hanging out with their family and some friends.
We celebrated Marie's (my niece) birthday on Sunday. It was her tenth which is a special celebration in our fam. They had a huge party and it was a blast to be there and see people that I haven't seen for five years or more! The church there meets in the evening and it was good to again been in a house church and fellowship with the believers there.
Priscilla and I returned to Kyiv on Monday, both of us with appointments for our teeth. Hers went rather quicker than mine since I ended up having a root canal. It went very well. They told me I might be in pain today or over the next week or so, but so far it is all good, which is a blessing! It was good to find a dentist that I feel I can trust to do good quality work on me. I'll have to return in a couple of weeks to get a permanent filling and to find out what they can do for my TMJ. Pris left me at the dentist's and when I was done there I returned to Rivne and was home in bed before midnight!

It is so odd, here I don't really mind the time spent in travel. It takes me about eight hours to get to my sister's from here, but I don't really think that much about it or find it that big of a deal. So different from in the States where I hated having to drive for more than a half hour anywhere, even fifteen minutes was a stretch sometimes!

4 comments:

  1. It is strange huh? I miss public transport sometimes too... I don't have to pay attention... well, unless you get a komakozie marshutka driver. I think that's why it's so much more stressful here... you spend so much time in the car getting from place to place, but the expectation is that you can get sooo much done in a day here, where as over there the expectation is that you need to take a whole day to do one thing... yeah... but I don't miss the drunks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, my marshrutka driver the other day was pretty decent, other than the whole talking on the cell phone thing. And the fact that the headlights went out, so we drove almost all the way from Kyiv to Rivne with our hazards on and him holding the brights on or something. (whatever it was, he had to hold lever in or it would go off)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... why are Americans deprived the entertainment of marshutak rides?? he he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think Americans pay to go to an amusement park for these kind of thrills! I just get it as a part of life.

    ReplyDelete