Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Journeys

I think I titled this blog well. I have been on the road basically since I started it! I've also discovered some new things about myself through it. Like, I am definitely a writer. I can write and write and write. I have to set cut off times for myself! But it is a great way to express some of what is going on in my life and what God is doing.
While I was traveling to and from the conference this weekend I saw a number of these types of "vehicles" on the road and in the fields and all abouts. Hay season is actually over, but it was not unusual to see people driving their wagons someplace or dropping off potatoes (these last two weekends most people have been out digging them up and bringing them in).
What amazes me is that you there are still so many horses and wagons in use here! I mean on the one hand we have Mercedes and whatnot all over the place and then driving down the main highway there are also horses and wagons!?
To me it just represents the contrast that is Ukraine. When we moved here 17 years ago it was like stepping back to the 30's or 40's in a lot of ways. Now the major cities are similar to a lot of other European cities, but obviously there is still a gap in between the cities and the villages. It's a fascinating phenomenon and one that I find a trifle disturbing as well. How long can Ukraine "hold it together" before these gaps make it all fall apart?
Well, you can pray for Ukraine, esp. this week as we have very, very important parliamentary elections coming up on Sunday. These elections will have a significant effect on whether or not Ukraine ends up with the EU or with Russia (bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment