Saturday, January 9, 2016

Cherishing the Moment

My house is a mess. Dishes on the counter from last night's company. Laundry waiting to be folded on the dryer (thankfully only one load at the moment!), quilting projects on the buffet, paperwork on the kitchen counter, coloring books and puzzles on the dining room table, wood chips and mud all over the floor, living room needs vacuuming from all the dog hair because the vacuum had a hiccup yesterday and didn't suck anything up (I believe the letter "D" was responsible-it's a fridge magnet), toys in the living room, throws need to be folded and pillows tidied. And that's just what's visible from the dining room table. But at the moment I don't really care. There is plenty of work to be done. Isn't there always? I'm choosing this moment for quiet. Well, as quiet as I can get with Garfield on TV.
The view out my bay window is white. Snow on the ground. Cloud cover over everything else. The fog is gone but you can't really make out the mountains. It is still. When I let the dogs out this morning I heard the crunch of tires on the snow and I looked up to see a car almost a mile away. I love this peacefulness. There is rest for my soul in it.
Everywhere I look I am amazed at God's creation. Outside is the snow piling up on the ground and dusting the fences and tree. Inside I see my plant which has grown from five leaves to three feet tall. And there's my family: an incredible work of art. A husband who cherishes me, little people who are constantly changing and developing, a home of my very own.
All this mess around me is a wonderful sign of the changes God has brought into my life. A family, a home, a business. I can't look around without being thankful and taking joy in this life I  have been given.
And no, I don't have to stop and take time to settle myself and be quiet to enjoy this. I enjoy it every day. I just enjoy taking a few moments to cherish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment