Friday, October 21, 2011

Saturday Market Meanderings

First off, I am perfectly well aware that today is not Saturday, but I meant to post this last Saturday or Sunday right after I wrote it. Obviously, that didn't happen. But better late than never! (which is so not true)

I really need to bring my camera down here. But I'm no photographer and I am afraid that a picture--despite being worth a thousand words--would sadly fail to convey the beauty that I am seeing and feeling. I truly enjoy all the seasons, but if is difficult to choose whether I like fall or spring best.
When I arrived down here (at the market today there was this beautiful surprise: two of the trees near my booth had turned. The one still has a little green but otherwise they range from golden yellow to a pinky orange to red. Most of the other trees are full of green still, but have little leaves here and there that have turned vibrant red. It makes it look like there is fire in the trees.There is another tree that is a dark, dark green as though it would turn bugundy if it could. One or two of the trees have turned completely red.
Days like this I wish I could paint. I'd idealize the market with stalls filled with fall bouquets and overflowing with fall produce like pumpkins and squash in all various colors, under trees decked out in all shades of fall glory with just a little sunlight peeking through (that's the idealization part, there is no sun today despite the weatherman's promise).
And of course the people. or perhaps just the dogs--like the huge white ones that wear sunglasses and a tiara or the greyhounds in their Halloween pjs (yes, I am embarrassed for them). There are so many dogs that come to walk their masters (tempting to set some cats running through). Perhaps I would just personify the dogs into some of the people I see regularly. Like the man who always buys two almond croissants or the Scottish guy who comes by on his bike for a scone and a chocolate tart. The lady who always buys the small pinwheel danish. Or the grandma who gets something different each week as a treat for her granddaughter. I would want to include them all in my painting.
I love watching the people go by. There are families out for a stroll, the trendy "green" people (in all shapes and sizes), older people who just want something to remind them of the old days  or the old country. And the vendors and their products are as varied as their customers. Produce, plants, flowers, food, jewelry, rocks, glass, leather, pottery, wood, lotions, soaps and much, much more!
It's a fun place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment